Monday, September 8, 2008

Canadian Beanz: A Pictorial

Some thoughts on Saturday's Vegetarian Festival in Toronto and MC Chris concert in Buffalo:


This is me after a cup of tea, a cup of coffee, an hour drive to Toronto and twenty-five minutes of traffic to get off the QEW. Shit was getting serious. Then, luckily, we were there! Almost.

More traffic under some ominous cloud cover and Canada's adorable version of the Space Needle, the CN Tower. Aw. Look at them go! At this point, with rain threatening, my bladder pulsating and no end to the traffic in sight, I was beginning to wonder if this was the blunder of the year.

Pretty.

All I had to eat that morning was a handful of Mini-Wheats. So after that harrowing ride, I was ready to rock. And by "ready to rock" I mean ravenous, shaky and bitchy. I followed the scent of cumin to the Indian stand. It took awhile because it turns out hippies smell a lot like cumin.


Snack plate! Not pretty, but delish.

Curry combo! "Chicken" curry; chickpea (BEANZ) curry and basmati.

Indian soda! Tasted, um, like Pepsi. It was called "Thums up!"


This is from a Korean stand. Even though free samples abounded, I couldn't stop paying for food. Like this stuff: fried "fish" kebab; and a "fish" bun.

Money shot of the bun:


It was pimp.

Tentz full of hippiez, Indian people, Rastafarian guys and seitan.


Tom displaying our Sheese and vegan cookies. I didn't let him wear his "eat turkey be perky" shirt.


Back to the States and MC Chris. I forgot my ID and was forced to be the only 25-year-old straight edge there, or, ever.


Turns out, hanging out a bar for hours and not drinking? Kinda tough!

Here, if you squint, you can see MC Chris. He now has a beard and it makes him look kind of like a scary guy at a bus stop.

He was extremely hilarious. But then he kinda stood a bunch of fans up at the merch table? But Tom sent him a message on his message board and he answered! He was just chillin with Reggie and the Full Effect, turns out. All is forgiven!

No comments: