Friday, September 19, 2008

Congrats, Maddow: I love you


Hey, remember how I had a new blog? Then I didn't post for about 37 days. Well, I'm back, because I can't keep it inside anymore: I love Rachel Maddow.

Those of you close to me know that this is quite a reversal of my earlier feelings for the MSNBC pundit. Tom and I use to track how many minutes into Olbermann it took for Maddow to show up. It was generally between 6 and 11. She was just way too much on there, and Olbermann's smarminess didn't lend itself well to her wry sense of humor. They came off sounding schticky, like some warped political unfunny Abbott and Costello, but with a lesbian and a sportscaster.

So when I saw Maddow was getting her own show (directly following, natch, Olbie), my reaction was, of course, "MADDOWWW!!!" as I shook my fist at the sky.

Then I caught the first couple of minutes of her show one night, and I thought she was pretty calm and refreshing and fair-minded, especially right after the spittle-soaked rage of Olbermann. So I caught a little more of the next night, and then stupid Moe from Gawker wrote something confusing and ill-conceived about her being the first butchy gal on primetime cable news, and I found myself getting... defensive? Let's face it folks. I was in love.

Some things you may not know about my little news kitten:

  • She was the first openly gay person to be a Rhodes scholar
  • Her birthday is April Fools' Day!
  • She met her partner when she (the partner) hired her (Maddow) to do yard work!

This election has not been so good for ladies. Poor Hillz got spanked and then along comes Moosey McBeehive to save us from our abortions and build us all a Bridge to Everywhere. The more people try to NOT talk about these women as, well, women, the more offensive the dialogue gets. But one special lady has come out on top this fall: my buddy, Rachel Maddow. Go, girl!

No comments: